Wednesday 25 February 2009

Standing Room Only

At what point does one become less able to stand? I was considering this on the 94 bus on the way home, sitting in the seats reserved for those less able to stand. I am not in peak physical condition owing to the recent surgery, but I'm not exactly a snivelling mess who can't be let out of the house alone. Public transport is still something of a mission, however, as I still have iffy eyesight and tend to walk into seats/walls/Albanians when alighting public transport vehicles.

Well, fate dealt me a blow earlier as I was pondering this question whilst trundling along the Goldhawk Road aboard the 94. As I was smugly cozying up in the said less able seats a partially sighted gentlemen got on the bus and sat next to me in the seats of the people who are less able to stand, thereby pinning me most uncomfortably against the window. He then proceeded to eat very slowly and noisily (and being partially sighted, not very accurately) what appeared to be a battered sausage and a portion of greasy chips from a paper bag whose scent and grease insulating properties can only be described as woefully inadequate. There you go. Karma. I'm taking it as a sign that I am perfectly able to stand.

4 comments:

  1. I struggle with the same thing. Who does one offer one's seat to? I am more than happy to give it up for a person who needs it, but I'm always afraid of insulting someone. Because, essentially, you're saying 'here, have my seat, because you look too old/weak/generally unfortunate to stand. It's a minefield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I don't mind as people aren't vitriolic about it and try to make pointed comments very loudly, such as 'oh, typical, all the young men are sitting down'. Want to see the back of my head love, hmmm? HMMMMM?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone offered my dad a seat on the bus about 5 years ago. You've met him. Can you imagine? He took it on the chin, but I was quite insulted on his behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian? Ian? He doesn't look a day over 47 even now! What an outrage! The woman yesterday was about 147, to be fair, but still.

    ReplyDelete